Deploying Weasis itself comprises only copying a few files to a DCM4CHEE directory and making one configuration change. Getting to this point is a nontrivial affair, since it requires the installation of an image server, but this is within the abilities of anyone who's familiar with installing server-side software. These instructions are specific for Linux, though being a Java app, also apply to other platforms. Mac OSX and Windows 64 bit users are at a disadvantage as there is no Java library for image compression, limiting the types of DICOM images supported.
The key thing is to not ignore any error messages. Java and J2EE error messages (cascades of messages, usually) can seem at once terse, verbose, and obfuscated. Look for the very first error line, and if it does not identify the problem, go back to the previous working step.
Step by step summary
- These are only a summary of the official installation instructions
- Install and test DCM4CHEE Archive 2
- Check your Java version and edition, #JDK_or_JRE|JDK or JRE
- Identify and download the correct versions of Java Advanced Imaging (JAI) and Java Image I/O Tools
- Identify your #JAVA_HOME|JAVA_HOME location.
- This is the directory above the executable bin/java
- From the JAVA_HOME directory, install the JAI and JAI-IO packages
- Note this step must be performed from the JAVA_HOME directory. Executing from anywhere else will fail and produce an unrelated error message.
- Download Weasis and follow the installation instructions:
- Copy weasis.war, dcm4chee-web-weasis.jar, and weasis-pacs-connector.war to the server/default/deploy directory of DCM4CHEE.
- Copy weasis-pacs-connector.properties and weasis-jnlp.xml to the server/default/conf directory of DCM4CHEE
- Restart DCM4CHEE and check its log for errors.
- Error messages from Java/J2EE/JBoss tend to be long and do not always directly address the cause of the error. The first line of errors will give the best indication of the module or section that is causing the problem.
- The JNLP Web Start file may download and not run. See the Java Web Start page for notes.
- If the Java Advanced Imaging libraries are not correctly installed, Weasis may download and run, but not display any images. In this case you may see an 'empty image' preview icon within Weasis. Refer to the JAI notes for details.
- To deploy on a DCM4CHEE instance using port other than 11112, edit server/default/conf/weasis-pacs-connector.properties